[GLLUG] Spot the cheap Chinese fake

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Wed Apr 9 12:38:09 UTC 2014

On 09/04/14 13:00, Nix wrote:
> On 19 Mar 2014, John Winters uttered the following:
>
>> All of the descriptions (English, French and German) have grammatical
>> or spelling mistakes in them (or both) - although that's only
>> indicative and not conclusive.
>>
>> The killer is the CE Marking - it's too small (minimum allowed height
>> for the letters is 5mm) and the typeface is wrong. There's also
>> absolutely no indication of who manufactured it, and since CE Marking
>> is a manufacturer's certification, it's kind of useless without it.
>
> I hope you noticed the typos, rather than actually going around
> routinely measuring the size of CE markings on everything you buy :P

Well, actually it was the very cheap feel of the PSU which set me off -
that and the fact that it didn't seem to be of a sufficiently high power
rating, and carried a sticker warning that it would get hot in use.  I'm
not used to modern PSUs getting hot.

Those points made me look closer, which is when I noticed the serious
problems.

John