[GLLUG] Spot the cheap Chinese fake

Chris Bell chrisbell at chrisbell.org.uk
Thu Apr 10 07:03:18 UTC 2014

On Wed 09 Apr, Mike Brodbelt wrote:

> The PSU would not necessarily have drawn attention from the silk
> screening and CE mark, but was far too light in the hand. It's
> significantly underspecced, and it can't possibly have decent
> transformers in it. I have plugged it in, and it makes an unpleasant
> rapid ticking sound which I've never heard from a power brick before. I
> would not leave it alone in a room - it pretty much shouts "fire risk".
>
> Mike

   I gather that the theory is that modern ferrite cores are efficient at
ever higher frequencies, so higher switching frequencies with smaller
components. This does not prevent saturation if there are insufficient
primary turns, and the current can rise to disastrous levels even faster.

--
Chris Bell www.chrisbell.org.uk