[GLLUG] Does any virtualisation system provide good support for USB device forwarding?

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Thu Apr 10 12:58:36 UTC 2014

On 08/04/14 11:28, John Winters wrote:
[snip]
> I have the advantage that
> the USB device needs some firmware loading.  Currently the host is
> looking at it, sniffing that it doesn't have any firmware, and leaving
> it alone.  I've reached the point where my KVM VM then boots, sees the
> device and loads the firmware.

My analysis here was a little too optimistic.  The scenario above worked
fine the first time I booted the host, but of course when I re-booted it
the device now had its firmware and so the host OS grabbed it and
prepared to use it.

A fresh file of blacklists in /etc/modprobe.d stopped it doing that.

John