[GLLUG] BTRFS and snapshots?

Benjamin Donnachie benjamin at py-soft.co.uk
Thu Apr 24 19:18:47 UTC 2014

Does anyone on this list have any practical experience with BTRFS and in
particular snapshots?

I like the way my Macs provide Time Machine backups quickly and efficiently
and I'd like to implement something similar on my Fedora box.  While
backintime provides similar functionality it uses rsync to ascertain what
files have changed and takes an age to scan my 2TB home directory.

I have plans to extend my RAID6 array to 16TB useable and don't want it to
spent all day scanning unchanged files.  From the limited research I've
done so far (Procrastination as I'm currently revising for an exam next
week) BTRFS and snapshots look like a better solution.

However, all the talk about BTRFS being unstable makes me a little nervous.
 Which leads me to ask, does anyone on the list have any practical
experience with BTRFS?  Is it ready for prime time?  Will snapshots achieve
what I want or should I return to revision?

Regards,

Ben

[1] http://backintime.le-web.org/