[GLLUG] BTRFS and snapshots?

James Courtier-Dutton james.dutton at gmail.com
Thu Apr 24 20:42:14 UTC 2014

Hi,

I use btrfs on my laptop.
snapshot is useful, and the btrfs send function is good for remote
backups. It only sends changed blocks.

For snapshots, you can name them anything you like, you can mount any
historic snapshot.

I have never had any problem with the data integrity.
btrfs has a scrub function that does an integrity scan.

Every new linux kernel version does come with lots of "fixes" to
btrfs, so there have been data losses in the past, and those bugs have
been fixed.
I says nothing about how many data corruption bugs still exist.

I use backups. So if the scrub function ever finds a problem, I
restore it form backup.

James