[GLLUG] Slow Network Printing

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Tue Aug 5 14:21:54 UTC 2014

On 05/08/14 13:19, Mick Farmer wrote:
> Dear GLLUGers,
>
> I'm running Fedora 19 and have a HP Deskjet 3520 networked printer that
> I setup using CUPS.
>
> However, when I send a document to the printer it takes about two
> minutes before printing starts.  Pings to the printer average about 4
> ms, so the connection is not at fault.
>
> Can anyone suggest what I can do to speed things up?

Difficult to diagnose with so little information, but one reason I've
seen this happen in the past is because the machine connecting to the
printer is relatively slow.  For some reason, I find CUPS tends to
render things itself rather than shoving, say, Postscript, through to
the (Postscript-capable) printer.  When my domestic server was a
SheevaPlug, this meant that that computer spent a long time doing the
rendering before the printing actually happened.

If you're using a relatively fast computer, you don't notice it happening.

Just a thought.

John