[GLLUG] Samsung Printers

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Mon Aug 25 21:01:46 UTC 2014

On 25/08/14 15:35, Tom Taylor wrote:
> I've never owned one before but I'm looking at this as an option.  I
> want frikkin lasers (in multicolour), scanning and ideally a wired
> network connection.
>
> http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/model/SL-C460W/SEE
>
> Apparently it has support for "Various Linux".  I'm just wondering if
> anyone has any experience (good or bad) of Samsung/Linux or has
> knowledge of a printer that does all of the above really well for <£200.

My father has a Samsung printer, and whilst it does work with Linux (and
Samsung do support it) they can't resist trying to be "clever" in the
way they do it, so you end up installing a stupid "clever" program which
tries to do all sorts of things in non-standard ways and trips over its
own feet.

ISTR there is a Debian repository where someone has stripped out some of
the rubbish to provide a cleaner installation, but I'd still be
disinclined to spend money on a Samsung printer.

I recently bought a Brother HL-4150CDN, which seems to be available for
heavily discounted prices (well under £200), and meets all your
requirements except for the scanning one.  Linux support is easy and
straightforward.

HTH
John