[GLLUG] portability and power

Justin Perreault justinperreault at dl-jp.com
Sat Feb 22 08:51:17 UTC 2014

On Sat, 2014-02-22 at 07:08 +0000, John G Walker wrote:

> On Fri, 21 Feb 2014 23:37:17 +0000 Justin Perreault
> <justinperreault at dl-jp.com> wrote:
>
> > I would like a set up where I have 2-3 computers running the same
> > software and containing the same data files. I have been considering
> > rsync, csync, virtualisation, version control systems, servers...
> >
> > All systems are potentially mobile and could be without network
> > connectivity. There is also potential for only one system to be
> > available to all users. They need to operate individually as well as
> > syncing files from each when connected.
>
> I use Dropbox for this. Is there any reason why you can't use this
> solution, or create a setup that runs n the same principle (ie holds
> data in the cloud and updates every time it can connect)?

Thanks for this clarifying question.

When mobile I can tunnel to a server at the home/office.

I only have limited need for syncing files when systems are away from
the home/office though having the option would be nice.

When systems are connected at the home/office it seems contrary to have
them contact an outside server for such purposes.

Some of the files have potential for multiple simultaneous modification.

Hope that provides some clarity.

-Justin