[GLLUG] Linux home server for simulated distributed computing

gvim gvimrc at gmail.com
Fri Jan 3 05:24:32 UTC 2014

On 03/01/2014 02:21, Andy Smith wrote:
> A total system limit of 32G RAM seems really low if this is for
> virtualisation.
>
> I appreciate that you may consider 8 VMs with 4G RAM each to be
> sufficient right now, but presumably you would hope that this server
> will have a shelf life of 3-5 years in which case I think it may be
> prudent to spend a little more on a motherboard with more than 4
> DIMM slots.
>
> Also I must admit I am surprised that in this day and age it doesn't
> support 16G DDR3 DIMMs as they are currently where it's at for RAM,
> with 32G ones to come down in price next..

Each of the VMs is only likely to be running a couple of daemons for
proof of concept. No load testing or anything like that. Does
virtualisation in itself consume a significant amount of the server's
resources? I would probably go for a boot-level virtualisation approach
rather than running from a user account a la Virtual Box but I haven't
looked into anything in depth.

gvim