[GLLUG] Bletchley Park

MJ mirojrsc at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Jan 25 21:47:43 UTC 2014

Sheeesh! All fabricated and hideen real history of computing is not for mere "mortals" like us.
If one rightly accepts that John von Neumann make the first Computer, we are left without
"the first computer" claim, made in blah, blah, by blah, blah.

For me, if I am not to know the reality, history is worthless.
Sorry .  .  .  to burst the bubble. Living tissue incorporated into modern circuitry is too much
cyborg for my liking. And no there will be no T-800 to offer a helping hand! The only entity
that has the right to say:"Come with me, if you wanna live"; ain't a AI.
--
Mj
"I JUST WANNA DO GOD'S WILL!" -- Dr. Martin L. King Jr.

 Steve Parker wrote:
 > I have just heard a brief article on the news about a
 rift between the National Museum of Computing and Bletchley
 Park management; I was hoping to finally get around to
 visiting it this year, but it sounds like the Bletchley
 management are entirely unsympathetic to the 1940s history
 of the place, and I am now disinclined to give them my
 hard-earned money (especially if the IT aspect is out of
 bounds).

 > I seem to recall that various people on this list are
 well informed about Bletchley; does anybody have any deeper
 insight into what is happening at Bletchley Park?

 > Steve

 I've visited 3 times. The first time I managed to get a good
 chat with Tony Sale who rebuilt Colossus. Even though he was
 coming up 80, his mind was sharp as a knife. Quite
 unnerving. The second time I visited Tony wasn't in good
 health and he died a month or so later.

 After he died the room where Colossus is exhibited was tided
 up, re-carpeted and made look presentable as an exhibition.
 I rather liked it how it was before with an old 'scope and
 an Avo on a trolley and all kinds of paraphernalia scattered
 about. The new appearance is rather too clinical for my
 liking, the old electronics lab appearance appealed to me as
 much more authentic.

 I can understand the owners wanting to use their Heritage
 Lottery Funds to smarten the place up and make the place
 attractive for visitors, but the volunteer guides are
 actually very knowledgeable and full of all kinds of
 fascinating stories about Bletchley. Rather than antagonise
 the guides why don't they employ them? Some kind of creative
 solution would be in keeping with the legacy of Bletchley.

 As an ex-Deccie it was also good to see all kinds of Dec
 stuff working in the Museum of Computing as well as other
 machines such as an ICL 2900.

 :-) Ken

 -- This message has been scanned for viruses and
 believed to be clean.