[GLLUG] UH, got stuck with freshclam - Debian

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Thu Jul 31 13:42:19 UTC 2014

On 30 Jul 2014, MJ verbalised:

> Connecting via d
> Retrieving http://db.local.clamav.net/daily.cvd
> WARNING: Can't get information about d: Name or service not known
> WARNING: Can't download daily.cvd from db.local.clamav.net

Here's your problem. That 'Connecting via' indicates that you have an
HTTPProxyServer defined in /etc/freshclam.conf -- and it's called 'd'.
That is... unlikely to be a valid DNS name :)

Either this is a bug in freshclam, or you have a very interestingly
buggered-up freshclam.conf. I'd be interested to know which it is...
(and what text editor you use, if that's the only apparent damage.)

--
NULL && (void)