[GLLUG] Recommendations for an IPv6 capable ADSL/FTTC router

Peter Grant grantpe at gmail.com
Thu Jun 19 13:30:23 UTC 2014

On 19 June 2014 14:20, Dylan <dylan at dylan.me.uk> wrote:

>  Can you expand on that, please? I'm planning to replace my homehub with
> an old machine running smoothwall in the near future and would be
> interested to know in what way the Openreach modem has less than full IPv4
> functionality.
>
> Cheers
> Dylan

OK, the BT Openreach modem is crippled to being just a modem by the BT
firmware. There's not even a web interface so you can view the line stats
from it.
There's now a hacked firmware that restores the web interface, and by doing
so allows you to enable it as a NAT firewall system - otherwise it simply
acts to convert VDSL to ethernet, all the firewall function and PPPoE is
handled by the BT Home Hub (or other device).
See http://huaweihg612hacking.wordpress.com/ for details on reflashing it
and restoring it's full functionality. It's actually a very stripped down
Linux box.
Peter

"When you have a Swiss Army knife of a mind, everything looks like it
should be dismantled." Danny O'Brien/Merlin Mann