[GLLUG] problem with grub

Paul Hewlett phewlett76 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 15 08:46:03 UTC 2014

I have never done this so YMMV...

It appears that Grub does not do raid1 but the way round this is to specify
one of the 2 /boot partitions as a normal device.

if /dev/md0 consists of /dev/sda1 and /dev/sdb1 then specify either
/dev/sda1 or /dev/sdb1 as the boot partition.

It is also a good idea to put a fallback entry in grub to boot of the other
partition in case of error.

The other cause of error may be that your initramfs is not loading the
dmraid kernel module so check that as well.

This link may help you...

http://www.howtoforge.com/software-raid1-grub-boot-debian-etch-p2

Paul