[GLLUG] Hard Drive recommendations

Chris Howells chris+gllug at chrishowells.co.uk
Fri Mar 21 13:35:05 UTC 2014

On 21.03.2014 07:20, Dylan wrote:
> I'm looking to get a new hard drive for data storage and to
> accommodate 3D graphics rendering data. It will be a 3 to 4TB SATA-3
> drive Are there any brands/models to avoid at the moment, or any other
> gotchas I should be aware of? This will be a purely data drive, so
> BIOS size constraints etc are not an issue.

Buy a bunch of different brands and models, perhaps from different
vendors. This will lessen the risk that you suffer from an inherent
manufacturing or design defect simultaneously.

I don't find recommendations for particular disks very valuable: ask 10
people that question and you'll receive 10 entirely different answers
("I hate xyz, they always fail, buy abc. No abc is terrible, xyz is the
best"). As has been pointed out BackBlaze did a study (which some people
have discredited), Google also did one a few years back.

http://static.googleusercontent.com/media/research.google.com/en//archive/disk_failures.pdf