[GLLUG] Fedora SSH Problem Solved

Jan Henkins jan at henkins.za.net
Tue Mar 25 12:27:15 UTC 2014

Hello Mick,

On 2014-03-25 12:02, Mick Farmer wrote:
> Dear GLLUGers,
>
> Thanks to all of you who replied to me, especially Steve Parker.
>
> Somehow, SELinux was enabled.  Once I disabled it, everything returned
> to normal.  So the question is, how/who enabled it?

This is something do to myself very often, so I feel I can comment from
the lofty height of "personal self-inflicted experience"... At some
stage I do a "setenforce 0" to get SELinux into a permissive mode, but
forget to disable it in the /etc/selinux/config file. Obviously the next
reboot will enable SELinux again. If there is quite some time between
the two events, loads of head-scratching shall ensue! :-)

So the tl:dr version should be: If you do not want SELinux enabled, do
it in this order:

(1) Disable SELinux in the /etc/selinux/config file
(2) Do a "setenforce 0" if you do not want to reboot immediately

--
Regards,
Jan Henkins