[GLLUG] Re-configuring network settings in Debian Jessie

Chris Bell chrisbell at chrisbell.org.uk
Sun May 18 16:01:50 UTC 2014

Hello,
   I have been prompted by the death of a local DNS server to use a new
version of IPCop with a simpler local network configuration and a different
DNS server box, then transfer all my local boxes across.
   I have not been able to find any official method such as dpkg-reconfigure
to re-configure the network settings for each box.
   I edited all the relevant configuration files I could find on each box,
and all appeared to be going well until I re-booted a box and found that
/etc/resolv.conf had been reverted to the old configuration, yet I could not
find any other file which still had the old data.
   Is there any official method to re-configure the network settings? It is
almost as though the file settings are over-written as an interface is
pulled down, so it reverts to the settings that were in use at that time and
does not read the /etc/network/interfaces file on re-start.
   Thanks for any help.

--
Chris Bell www.chrisbell.org.uk