[GLLUG] Re-configuring network settings in Debian Jessie

Chris Bell chrisbell at chrisbell.org.uk
Sun May 18 17:46:23 UTC 2014

On Sun 18 May, John Winters wrote:

> On 18/05/14 17:01, Chris Bell wrote:
>
> [about resolv.conf spontaneously changing its contents]
>
> Do you have the resolvconf package installed?

   Yes.

>   The behaviour seems to be
> slightly different depending on whether that package is involved.  Even
> without it, resolv.conf will be over-written by NetworkManager, or by a
> link coming up by means of DHCP.  Are you using DHCP?

   No, it has always had its configuration set manually, although DHCP is
available for a restricted range of addresses, and it could be seeing
information from the old IPCop machine.

> Can you show us the contents of /etc/network/interfaces on the relevant
> machine?

(Copied to my Acorn RiscPC which has been running 24/7 since it arrived !)

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
allow-hotplug eth0
iface eth0 inet static
	address 172.21.3.6
	netmask 255.255.255.0
	network 172.21.3.0
	broadcast 172.21.3.255
	gateway 172.21.3.1
	dns-nameservers 172.21.3.10 172.21.3.28 172.21.3.1
	dns-search local3

# dns-* options are implemented by the resolvconf package, if installed

--
Chris Bell www.chrisbell.org.uk