[GLLUG] Advice on expanding an existing RAID 1 installation

Bernard Peek bap at shrdlu.com
Sat May 24 15:25:49 UTC 2014

On 24/05/14 16:10, Andy Smith wrote:
>> Second question - I'm undecided about whether to put the 3rd drive
>> into the system to start with (thus three drives up to date all the
>> time) or keep it on a shelf for when it's needed.  Does anyone have
>> strong views on which is better?
> What do you want to achieve? It's a question of
> convenience+resilience versus cost of power usage really.

When you are planning for disaster-recovery you need to decide how fast
you have to recover. That can affect the decision about whether to keep
a spare on the shelf or rely on being able to buy a replacement when you
need it. What does adding a third drive to the array win you? Is that
worth more to you than the cost/risk of having to wait to get a
replacement. Nobody else can make that sort of subjective assessment for
you.

--
Bernard Peek
bap at shrdlu.com