[GLLUG] Audio Production

Christopher Hunter cehunter at gb-x.org
Thu Nov 27 20:21:35 UTC 2014

On 27/11/14 19:36, James Roberts wrote:
> Hi.
>
> On 27/11/14 16:44, Leo wrote:
> > Yeh, its a tricky situation. I still harbour the hope that I could
> > switch over to Linux to make music sometime in the future, so I'm
> always
> > keeping an eye on developments and doing some testing.
>
> Snap.
>
> > I've had success using a Linux box as more of an instrument, recording
> > samples and effects into my OSX set-up (for electronic music
> production).
>
> Yeah that would work.
>
> > There's also been some new hardware come out that reportedly works
> > perfectly with Linux. All the new Focusrite USB audio interfaces are
> > class compliant, so don't need drivers.
>
> The issue there is probably latency with virtual instruments: needs
> ASIO/Core or similar to fix...
>
> > It's getting there, slowly but surely.
>
> Let us hope so!
>
> MeJ

I got so hacked off with the latencies (even with "real time" kernels),
with the appalling stability (like Windows applications), and with the
general flakiness of any Linux-based music software, that I abandoned it
for the computer musical instruments and recording tools I developed a
few years ago.

I ended up using an industrial micro-kernel (with reasonably cheap
commodity hardware) and eventually got the results we wanted.  The
hardware and software was made available through a synthesiser
manufacturer and was slightly popular for a while, but the very high
prices charged for the equipment effectively priced it out of the
market.  The product range ("soft" synthesisers and recording gear) was
dropped a few years ago.

There are a few worthwhile Linux recording tools and a couple of soft
synthesisers that are pretty good.  With modern hardware, the latencies
have become much smaller.  However, the underlying software
infrastructure for sound (and video) in Linux still leaves a lot to be
desired.  Perhaps this is an area that I should try to tackle.....

C.