[GLLUG] Port scanning your router

Steve Parker steve at steve-parker.org
Wed Oct 1 23:16:31 UTC 2014

On 30/09/14 20:42, Martin A. Brooks wrote:
> I would simply port scan the router from somewhere.
>
> The chances of your ISP noticing, or even caring if they do, is something
> along the lines of "nothing whatsoever".  You're doing nothing illegal in
> any case.

+1. I would add one caveat, though - about 3 years ago, I portscanned my
own website, and in response, my hosting firm blocked my IP from
accessing the site at all. Since I was curious to know what a potential
client might think of my security, seeing the site appear to go down in
the face of a simple nmap scan was *not* the impression I was trying to
give! I'm with a more sensible webhost now.