[GLLUG] FAX

Mark Preston mark at markpreston.co.uk
Sun Oct 19 08:02:07 UTC 2014

On 19/10/14 01:52, Christopher Hunter wrote:

> On 18/10/14 07:14, Mark Preston wrote:
>>
>> Faxes are actually very secure.
>
> Err... No they're not. At all.
>
> I had the job of designing a fax intercept machine for Police monitoring
> of communications traffic way back in the 80s!
>
> Chris

Hi Chris,
Thank you for your reply, and also thanks to Bernard, Richard and James
for their replies to my assertion which may well be wrong. I have no
great technical knowledge on this issue, but I am interested to find out
more about it. My comment was mainly based on some conversations I had
with a person who worked for BT many years ago. He recently died so I
can't ask him for clarification. Basically he told me he worked for a
special BT unit that installed the phone lines that supplied fax
machines and other telecommunications stuff in places like security
offices and foreign embassies in London. He claimed that the encryption
used for transmitting faxes was very secure.
	In the same way that people like police can intercept phone calls I
imagine that people can intercept faxes, but in relation to plain text
email security this can still be considered very secure. I imagine that
your fax intercept machine worked by redirecting the output of the fax,
or copying it in some way similar to listening in on a phone call.

--
Regards,
Mark Preston