[GLLUG] FAX

Mark Preston mark at markpreston.co.uk
Sun Oct 19 14:21:05 UTC 2014

On 19/10/14 13:45, Andrew Black wrote:
> Can we return to the original topic.   I asserted that faxes are useful
> for communicate with doctors etc when I am dealing with a chronically
> ill parent and living 1.5 hours journey away.  If you know the right
> person to talk to telephone is best, but GPs are hard to get hold of.
> Receptionist often don't feel able to talk to you.
> One clinic was great at communicating by email - not detailed medical
> stuff but just the practicalities of appointments.
>
> I am not in a position to recommend whether Fax, email, post, carrier
> pigeons is more or less secure and which the NHS should use. Just I am
> trying to  do the best I can for relatives with at least pain in short term.
> If MI5/6 or NSA want to intercept my appointment dates I am not too
> concerned.

Hi Andrew,
I didn't mean to hijack your thread. The gist of your first posting was
that the GP you were trying to contact only read his emails once a week
and that sending a fax was more likely to get his attention sooner. You
didn't want the hassle of setting up your printer/scanner/fax machine so
you were asking for ideas before your mother gets seriously ill.
I did point out in my first reply that using just your PC and email
address you can send a fax of a pdf document online for free using a
service such as http://www.myfax.com/free/

I don't know if the GP in question sends out faxes as well, but if he
does then you can sign up to receive faxes via email to your PC too with
another free service such as http://home.efax.com/s/r/FreeUK
  (They use an 0870 number and take a cut from the sender). So one way
or another, provided you're not sending and receiving lots of faxes this
should help you to arrange your mother's medical appointments - fairly
securely :)

Is this helpful?
--
Regards,