[GLLUG] Port scanning your router

Alistair Mann al at pectw.net
Tue Sep 30 18:08:29 UTC 2014

On 30/09/14 09:02, T Menezes wrote:
> Hi
>
> I would like to run a port scan of my router. It's the first time I do
> this and I am a little concerned about what my ISP might say (or do) if
> they are monitoring traffic to my fixed IP address.
>
> How do you usually go about doing this, do you get in touch with your
> ISP and let them know you will be doing this sort of job beforehand?
>
> Thanks

If this is a cable router, I would normally do it by connecting a
machine directly to the WAN port: not only do you not have to tell the
ISP, but the throughput is considerably faster.

If this is a DSL router or SuperHub or their kin, I would investigate
whether the device can use something else for WAN, then proceed as
above. Although, this wouldn't necessarily catch out all shenanighans in
the default environment.

For DSL, you can buy dslams for under £500. My understanding - I've not
tried it - is that you can wire modems directly to the dslam and then
conduct all tests locally. The true cost is in the labour getting upto
speed on dslams, but depending on your budget and diary, it's a choice.
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r9815618-In-house-DSLAM-Testing-Online-Games-XBOX-PS2-

If you do need to get in touch with the ISP, it'll be the security
department that you want - that's where the alarm bells will start
ringing first.
--
Alistair Mann

t:07899 846 648