[GLLUG] Postgres Cracking the safe

Ken Smith kens at kensnet.org
Tue Apr 7 17:15:52 UTC 2015

Hi all,

I need some advice from a regular postgres user/guru.

I want to restore a postgres backup from another system in order to
extract some data from the tables. I have a fresh Centos 6 Postgres 8.4
install on a VM. I'd like to access the database with phpPgAdmin if
possible. The whole setup is on a private LAN so security isn't a
concern. For this job passwordless would be adequate.

I'm butting my head against the pg_hba.conf settings and usernames and
passwords in order to get phpPgAdmin to connect. I'm sure its powerful
and flexible but I'm more familiar with MySQL, and I've done battle in
this area before and wasted hours fiddling around. I don't really want
(or have the time) to become a postgres dba.

The error in the log file is

LOG:  provided username (ken) and authenticated username (apache) don't
match
FATAL:  Ident authentication failed for user "ken"

I can see that Postgres is listening on port 5432. I've got phpPgAdmin
on the same box. pg_hba.conf is in default config at the moment. I have
created a user (ken) and given that user a password.

Is there a step by step, blow by blow guide that some kind soul could
direct me to. Or is there a utility to convert a postgres database dump
file into a form that MySQL can import.

Any pointers much appreciated

Ken

believed to be clean.