[GLLUG] booting problem

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Tue Dec 1 10:09:36 UTC 2015

On 01/12/15 09:45, steve taylor wrote:
> hi all,
>
> i have a problem with my system. Yesterday i spent all day messing
> around with vmware and virtualbox and now my system won't boot properly.
> It just hangs. Either it is a coincidence, or it is something to do with
> them.

More details please.  When you say "hangs", what exactly do you mean?
At what stage in the booting progress does this occur?  What happens
normally, and then what doesn't happen?

> I use Mint 17.
> I can use Ctrl-Alt-F1 to go to a console but what do I do then?

Sounds like your system is in fact booting.  What do you see on this
console?  Can you log in?  What desktop environment do you use (Gnome,
KDE, etc?)  Is the corresponding login manager running on your system?
Has it logged anything in /var/log/messages?

John