[GLLUG] Web read access to files stored on a USB drive

Jasper Wallace jasper at pointless.net
Sun Jun 7 23:47:47 UTC 2015

On Sun, 7 Jun 2015, Chris Bell wrote:

> Hello,
> I am trying to provide web read access to a large USB external drive connected
> to my laptop via apache2 on debian jessie.
> The drive now appears as /media/username/drive_id/directory/ and all the
> relevant files are world readable.
> I have been able to symlink to the drive from /var/www/ on all versions up to
> debian wheezy, and I am still able to use apache2 running on wheezy on the
> same laptop.
> On jessie, symlinks to internal drives and directories work, but not to the
> external drive.
> Enabling access to the /directory/ in /etc/apache2/apache2.conf does not work.

Have you checked the syntax for enabling access to the directory in
apache? it changed in jessie.

You'll need something like:

<Directory /media/username/drive_id/directory/>
AllowOverride None
Require all granted
</Directory>

and possibly do something like:

Alias /usbdrive/ /media/username/drive_id/directory/

rather than a symlink.

[http://pointless.net/]                                   [0x2ECA0975]