[GLLUG] Digital provision in wills

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Fri May 22 09:03:56 UTC 2015

On Fri, May 22, 2015 at 09:47:53AM +0100, John Levin wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> Somewhat tangental, but a serious matter. What provisions have
> people put in their wills for their digital presence?
> By which I mean their computers, their domain names, hosting
> arrangements and website contents, github accounts etc.
> And how has this been arranged? What provision has been made for
> passing on passwords upon death, but only to designated people and
> only at that time?

The next step is how to do it so that organisations that you need to deal with
will accept your heir's use of your ''digital property'' that they host.

* many accounts forbid the sharing of passwords (often a reasonable restriction
while you are alive, but a mandatory act when you die)

* things like itunes accounts - divvy the music tracks that you have bought to
your kids (if they will listen to them)

* there are similar problems with bank accounts. There ought to be well
established and easy to use procedures - but from my experience the banks make
it very hard

The 'escrow' needs to also be activated if you get dementia or similar.

--
Alain Williams
+44 (0) 787 668 0256  http://www.phcomp.co.uk/