[GLLUG] Digital provision in wills

Peter Grant grantpe at gmail.com
Sat May 23 09:00:27 UTC 2015

On 23 May 2015 at 00:01, Christopher Hunter <cehunter at gb-x.org> wrote:
> On 22/05/15 09:47, John Levin wrote:
>>
>> Dear list,
>>
>> Somewhat tangental, but a serious matter. What provisions have people put
>> in their wills for their digital presence?
>> By which I mean their computers, their domain names, hosting arrangements
>> and website contents, github accounts etc.
>> And how has this been arranged? What provision has been made for passing
>> on passwords upon death, but only to designated people and only at that
>> time?
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> John

On this issue, I recently became aware of Google's Inactive account
manager. Essential, if you don't use your Google account for a set
period, they'll pass on access to your account to a set person. So, if
I don't log into Google for more than 3 months, my sister gets an
email which will let her know how to access my Google account. Given
that everything else is tied to my email address which is set up with
Gmail, that gives full access - without needing to share passwords.
Google seem clear they'd make efforts to contact you before sending
out the inactive account email, so it seems safe enough. They also
require a mobile number so it's two factor authentication of the
trusted person.

Don't think this should kick in unless I'm dead or in a coma since I
think I log in daily. As does my Android phone - so that would need to
be turned off or run out of battery before the 3 month countdown
starts.

Link for Google help page on this feature:
https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/3036546?hl=en
Peter