[GLLUG] Seemingly Simple Question

James Roberts j.roberts at stabilys.com
Wed Nov 4 14:26:58 UTC 2015

Experience does vary, but we usually specify Thinkpads for Linux (and
for Windows in fact - because they are robustly built), have done so for
years, have sold quite a few of them and never had an issue of the sort
you describe.

We have had issues with full support of softkeys (volume, wifi on/off) a
few times some years ago but nowadays it mostly just works except on
lappies issued this week (that is, too new for support).

The problems you describe sound like hardware issues to me, and I'd
suspect RAM or failing drive or part soldered video chip (if it has
one). Changing RAM or reflowing the board fixes most issues of the type
you describe with most laptops, not just Lenovo.

The machine in the condition you describe is only suited to doorstop duties.

We have Linux of various ages running on Lenovo, Dell, Asus, Acer,
Toshiba and a few more lappies with no issues that come to mind as I type!

Oh - except fingerprint readers, I always disable them so don't know if
they work in Linux. Fingerprints are not a security token IMHO but a
user ID to be used in conjunction with a token - but no-one lets you do
that :)

MeJ

PS http://www.linlap.com/lenovo_thinkpad_w530

--