[GLLUG] Wifi router requirements for hosting Linux box on LAN

James Roberts j.roberts at stabilys.com
Fri Dec 9 12:49:09 UTC 2016

We normally expect to support ~ 10 simultaneous active users per typical
mid-range WiFi box, maybe 30 connections in total. We would put in say
1-10 boxes per floor, depending (in commercial premises - less in
domestic, 2 cover my flat for example, each Cat6'd to the gigabit
switch). But this is just for access email etc, NOT video or heavy
streaming.

One client with heavy Spotify audio streaming for 30 users needs two
fibre 80 Mbps just to support that :(

See:

http://www.securedgenetworks.com/blog/How-Many-Users-Can-a-Wireless-Access-Point-Handle

http://www.broadbandbuyer.com/store/wifi-n-networking/wifi-hotspots/?t=795#T

For security we do NOT ever use permanent integrated wifi/router, AKA
'single point of failure' ;)

We use fibre bridge supported by BT -

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2016/02/entanet-laments-loss-of-bt-openreach-approved-vdsl-modems.html

- pfsense on dedicated hardware

- then wifi network VLAN'd if necessary (usually not in this scenario).

For 250 simultaneous users - you will need better than 1 fibre connection.

So perhaps these specs are a bit overstated? How many actual
simultaneous users?

MeJ