[GLLUG] phpMyAdmin Remote DB logon

Ken Smith kens at kensnet.org
Mon Feb 1 00:08:12 UTC 2016

Hi All, I'd like to pick the brains of anyone with some depth on
phpMyAdmin here. I'd like to use it to connect to a db on a server on my
LAN from my laptop.

The normal mysql commands log on and work correctly to the remote db.
I'd just like to see the better presented output that phpmyadmin can do.

I've added this to config.inc.php

/* Server: servername [2] */
$i++;
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['verbose'] = 'servername';
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['host'] = 'numericalipaddress';
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['port'] = '3306';
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['connect_type'] = 'tcp';
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['extension'] = 'mysqli';
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['auth_type'] = 'cookie';

I get error 2003 Cannot Login to the mysql server

Using wireshark I don't see any trace of communication to the server
when I try a logon using phpmyadmin. Yet wireshark does show the traffic
if I use normal mysql commands.

So I've missed something that tells phpMyAdmin that the server is not
localhost

Before I go tracing through the php code to see what I've missed could
someone who has done this before share any insight please.

Many thanks

Ken

believed to be clean.