[GLLUG] (OT) ISP advice please

Christopher Hunter cehunter at gb-x.org
Sat Feb 27 14:15:19 UTC 2016

Going on the experiences of my neighbours, Virgin (on the ridiculous)
should be avoided at all costs.  Trivial faults take weeks to fix (if
they're ever fixed at all), and their pricing is bizarre.  They also
have their infamous, arbitrary "fair use" policy:  If you download about
a distro's worth of data in one go, your rate is cut to dial-up speeds
for at least 24 hours to punish you!

When cable was introduced around here (in the early 80s) we had Cable
Camden.  There have been successive take-overs (Cable London, Telewest
and finally Virgin) and in each instance, quality of service
deteriorated, prices increased, and the proportion of households that
were connected progressively diminished.  Cable Camden had over 95% of
households, Virgin have about 8%!

I'd recommend A&A like everyone else around here seems to!

Chris