[GLLUG] (OT) ISP advice please

Peter Grant grantpe at gmail.com
Sat Feb 27 14:56:37 UTC 2016

On 27 February 2016 at 14:39, Bernard Peek <bap at shrdlu.com> wrote:
> On 27/02/16 12:54, Andrew Solomon wrote:
>>
>> I'm currently using ADSL and it's pretty flaky. More so over the last
>> month with the blame bouncing between the ISP, BT and the property owner
>> without any clear action for me - the renter - to take.
>>
>> I'm now wondering what my options are. Should I consider cable, fibre or
>> resort to wireless? I don't need much bandwidth, but I'd really like a
>> static IP address.
>>
>> Any advice would be very much appreciated. If you've been in a similar
>> situation and just want to vent your spleen that's ok too, just as long as
>> you don't use too many swear words:)

I can only comment on Zen as a business customer, where they were
completely fine. We had some problems with their install but that was
BTs fault not theirs. I've know others on Zen who seemed happy enough.

Virgin are a nightmare, last I heard they couldn't/wouldn't do static
IPs for customers - and one of these was a business line.

I keep looking at A&A and dreaming where I can afford the bandwidth I
need through them. However, since you mention you don't need much
bandwidth, they may be the quickest to actually fix your issue. They
also do native IPv6, which annoys BT as the official position is you
can't (yet) using BT lines...

Just my recollections.
Peter