[GLLUG] FLOSS Router

Christopher Hunter cehunter at gb-x.org
Sun Feb 28 23:59:33 UTC 2016

I have a TP-Link dual-band effort and discovered that with the original
firmware that both the transmit power and the receive sensitivity were
both significantly crippled.  Replacing with dd-wrt allowed the router
work as it was meant to!

Another approach has been to use the generic dumb wi-fi transceiver
cards that are available from China for pennies and use them with a
Raspberry Pi to handle the routing duties.  I also found a nice little
Chinese board that fits directly to the Pi expansion bus connector and
gives it two extra RJ45 ports.  The whole mess - including a linear
(electrically quiet) power supply, some home-brewed colinear aerials and
a small box to house it all in cost roughly the same as buying a Netgear
equivalent!  There are any number of Pi-based router projects around.

It doesn't surprise me that the Americans are putting all these
arbitrary limits on wi-fi performance.  They're paranoid about the
"threat" posed by long-range wi-fi, and there was a plan to make the use
of "enhanced" antennas a felony, since (according to the FCC) it would
allow the router to cause "widespread interference"

Chris