[GLLUG] USB drive caddy?

Alistair Mann al at pectw.net
Tue Jul 26 01:32:39 UTC 2016

On 25/07/2016 18:18, Sharon Kimble via GLLUG wrote:

> Can anyone recommend a USB drive caddy that can read primarily IDE
> drives, and a couple of SATA drives please? It must be able to be
> recognised by Debian 8, and able to read the IDE drives.

I have both these on hand (and amazon have both in stock):
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bipra-SATA-Adapter-Power-Drive/dp/B001A5SK56/
@£22.99 and
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Magic-Bridge-eSATA-SATA-Adapter/dp/B004HTIHKA/
@£37.36
Both can handle 2.5in and 3.5in IDE drives.

I recommend the latter as it has longer leads, a more robust
construction and an on/off switch. However for every-now-and-again use
either will do.

I also just tested both against my copy of Debian 8.5 with an (IDE) 15Gb
Quantum Fireball lct 15 which Wikipedia dates to mid-2000 onwards. Both
happily read the stored (ext3) data with no problem.

Note that:
1. Both these are adapters not caddies
2. When used as external drives, IDE (later EIDE, more latterly as PATA)
drives should have their jumpers set to 'Master': my experience is that
'Slave' and 'Cable-select' drives ignored the adapter (and this might be
why your maplins device couldn't seem to see it.)

Best wishes,
--
Alistair Mann

t:07899 846 648