[GLLUG] Installing SSL certificate at the request of a WiFi provider

Christopher Currie ccurrie at usa.net
Sun May 8 14:12:36 UTC 2016

On Sunday 08 May 2016 09:50:32 Mike Brodbelt via GLLUG wrote:

> My experience with this has been that this sort of thing is normally
> done by installing a box that performs MiTM attacks by requiring a CA
> cert installed. Sounds like this is what they're installing.
>
> Example:-
>
> https://www.bluecoat.com/sites/default/files/documents/files/How_to_Gain_Vis
> ibility_and_Control_of_Encrypted_SSL_Web_Sessions.a.pdf

Am I right in concluding that in the following quoted from the above link, 'protect'
means 'prevent'?
> Quote ----
In other words, traditional
security and networking solutions cannot effectively protect users inside
the corporate network from safely accessing applications and information
outside the corporate network (e.g., Salesforce.com, employee benefits
providers, and the wide variety of non-business-related applications their
employees use).
---end quote ----------

Christopher Currie

ccurrie at usa.net
--
Sent from my unbranded stationary shabbyputer.