[GLLUG] Adding a second ethernet interface

Chris Bell chrisbell at chrisbell.org.uk
Mon May 9 13:38:06 UTC 2016

Hello,
I have a box running KDE on Debian Testing (Stretch) which has an Intel on-
board gigabit ethernet (listed during installation as enp0s25) and a cheap PCI
gigabit ethernet card (listed during installation as enp10s10). I expect one
to carry a higher data rate (only from multiple IP security cameras configured
on a single isolated network) than the other, (to be used for general
connection and monitoring), so I opted to use the PCI card as the primary
interface.
I could not find the onboard ethernet on any existing file, and want to add
and configure it to use at least IPv4 with a fixed address, and optionally
IPv6. NetworkManager is installed by default, which is supposed to make things
easy, with a variety of helpful commands, but I find it just complicates
everything, yet if I do not use an approved configuration procedure any
settings are likely to be lost if NetworkManager is updated. Am I alone?

Chris Bell