[GLLUG] Recycling computers with Linux

Christopher Hunter cehunter at gb-x.org
Wed Nov 16 08:04:04 UTC 2016

On 16/11/16 02:10, DL Neil via GLLUG wrote:
> Alain,
>

> On 16/11/16 01:44, Alain Williams via GLLUG wrote:
>> Interesting chat from a friend who was over for the w/end. Her laptop
>> installed
>> MS Win 10 last year; she did not ask for it, etc. She does not like
>> it and says
>> that it is crawling with virus and so will not connect it to the
>> Internet;
>> rarely uses it.
>>
>> I took her through installing Linux Mint (Mate desktop) on a spare
>> laptop; a few
>> questions but otherwise used it happily all w/end.
>>
>> Her only concern was that she has to use MS Windows boxes at work;
>> using Linux
>> at home might make that harder for her.
>>
>> It will be interesting to see if she uses the Mint install USB stick
>> that I gave her.
>
> You user-illustration shows that 'it' is not between "Linux Mint" and
> "MS Windows"!
>
> Users' issues usually relate to coping with the differences between
> MS-Excel and LibreOffice Calc, or Thunderbird and MS-Outlook. This
> similar to the irritation of touch-typists trying to move between
> 103-key keyboards and portable machines - or "Natural" keyboards, to
> say nothing of switching to other (Romance) languages... All 'muscle
> memory' and 'chunked thinking' counts for naught, and one is reduced
> to consciously implementing every function, step-by-step.
>

> Some time back I upgraded my aged Mother (OK, her PC) from desktop to
> portable. Made it a dual-boot machine in case she needed to revert to
> her MS-Win platform for any reason. Time passed...
>
> She enjoyed the advantages of a laptop and wanted something newer and
> replacing the HDD with solid-state. Upon configuring the new box I
> asked if she wanted to continue the existing choice or just go with
> one or the other? She had forgotten the choice, and had the habit of
> booting the box and then walking away - so she'd not seen the GRUB
> choice for ages.
>
> Went round-and-around for a while, until she finally managed to
> remember that she occasionally saw the name "CentOS". I was
> roundly-criticised for demanding 'technical details' (over the phone)
> but now that's all she uses because she'd never noticed any material
> differences. Whenever any asks about using her PC, she happily warns
> them that it's "only for experts - because it runs CentOS". That's the
> same person who rapped my knuckles for struggling to ascertain if it
> was Linux of Windows underneath her application suite!
> (Mozilla Thunderbird and Firefox, LibreOffice Writer, albeit
> admittedly with very little else apart from the irreplaceable (IMHO)
> TeamViewer!)

Your tale is almost exactly the same as my experience with my Father.
He bought a fairly well-specified desktop machine with Windows
pre-installed.  He spent some hours ridding it of the bundled adware and
then installed MS "Office", which had been bundled with the machine.  He
used it for a few weeks and then found it to be riddled with malware of
one sort or another.

Unknown to me, he was given a Fedora disk by a friend of his.  He
dual-booted for a while, then made the move to Ubuntu (I don't know why
- but that's what he did).  He continued with the dual-boot for some
months until on one visit, he asked (to my surprise) "Can you delete
Windows from my machine?".

Apparently, after some minor learning issues at the beginning (usually
resolved by RTFM, having the M open in another screen of his desktop),
he found that he didn't ever bother to boot into Windows.  He said that
Ubuntu got to the log-in screen in under 20 seconds, whereas Windows
could take almost two minutes!

He's 85 now, and has been using Ubuntu (or Mint on his new laptop) for
several years.  I'm seldom bothered by "support" phone calls - he seems
able to resolve any problems himself.  He's done quite a lot of installs
for his friends, and has provided the small amount of support they need
himself.  His current project is to "learn programming", and he's
recently started playing about with a Raspberry Pi.

Cheers