[GLLUG] Debian 9 Intel Pro 1000 card problems

Chris Bell chrisbell at chrisbell.org.uk
Sun Aug 20 20:29:06 UTC 2017

On Sunday, 20 August 2017 11:46:18 BST Henrik Morsing via GLLUG wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I had to reinstall my computer and installed a fresh Stretch Stable on there
> and at the same time bought an Intel Pro 1000 GT adapter to take over from
> the built-in Realtek 8168 at the same time.
>
> This hasn't worked out very well - the e1000 driver (assuming driver problem
> as I bought two Intel cards and they both show this problem), works for
> abouut half an hour, then goes into full erractic mode. Ping times all over
> the place and dropped packets. Google doesn't seem to reveal anyone with
> the same problems. It usually happens around the time the logs shows an
> "IRQ 16 happened - nobody cared" message.
>
> Another problem with debian 9, is that both the new Intel card and the old
> Realtek now insist on starting in half duplex. Why? I've tried adding the
> recommended settings in the module configuration file, but they still do
> it. I never had to set full duplex manually after booting - in-fact, in my
> 20 years of using Linux I've never had to do that...
>
> Any ideas about these two issues?
>
> Thanks
> Henrik Morsing

Hello Henrik'
I too would suspect an ethernet software/driver problem, followed by
overheating. As far as I know all default to the simplest and slowest mode,
then negotiate the optimum working conditions.
While I was searching for a graphics fault on an IBM/Lenovo laptop I noticed
that dmesg was almost entirely full of ethernet errors, but I think I may also
have a real hardware fault because even new and old live DVD versions of
knoppix and ubuntu have stopped booting.
I have just looked at a Lenovo laptop which has an Intel e1000 ethernet, that
is working OK but both the knoppix 7.7.1 DVD and debian stretch versions of
dmesg have complaints about the internal APIC driver, asking if there is a
better one available.

--
Chris Bell
Website http://chrisbell.org.uk