[GLLUG] Raspbian "stretch" problems

Chris Bell chrisbell at chrisbell.org.uk
Thu Aug 31 20:39:15 UTC 2017

Hello,
I have some RaspberryPi computers that have been working very well running
"jessie" but I have had problems with the latest "stretch" image and a Model
2B.
I want to use it as a mini-webserver in a DMZ without K,V,M once configured. I
installed openssh-server and proftpd-basic (together with inetutils-inetd as
suggested), and everything seemed to have installed OK.
I have not found any difference between the installed configuration files and
those on an AMD64 computer running stretch, but they do not auto-start on
boot-up or re-boot. They appear to be listed correctly in /etc/default/ ,
/lib/systemd/system/ssh.service appears to be correct, and they do start and
run normally using /etc/init.d start (with a note "via systemd-service"),
which does not help unless I leave the K,V,M connected.
Most important is the openssh-server auto-start.
No problems installing Apache2.
Has anyone else noticed this problem? I am reluctant to take a working Model
3B out of service to try updating it from "jessie" to "stretch" until I have
sorted the Model 2B.
Thanks for any help.
--
Chris Bell