[GLLUG] Annotating video

DL Neil GLLUG at GetAroundToIt.co.uk
Wed Jan 18 02:28:41 UTC 2017

Are you able to recommend a means of annotating or highlighting videos,
with which you enjoy success, please?

I have been making screen-cast training materials (courtesy of earlier
advice from 'here'). However, even with a low screen size/resolution and
the largest mouse pointer-size, am noting that some trainees find it all
too-easy to miss 'cues' and thus fail to maintain a connection between
the commentary and the video, eg discussing whether to push the "Yes" or
the "No" button, or perhaps which menu.
(yes it seems strange to us - 'computer people' - but then we've all had
days spent staring out of the school-room window and 'missing' some
pertinent advice from teacher only to wonder 'what's it all about?'
later! This observation seems to relate to similar 'distraction', or
maybe a lack of visual skills/familiarity with computer screens, and
ultimately more serious sight disabilities)

What I am thinking about, is using my (old-ish) Wacom tablet and being
able to provide emphasis by circling points at-interest, underlining
items, drawing arrows, or similar.
NB I have little skill as an artist, but could manage such in The GIMP.
Obviously, with video (cf 'stills') such annotations would have a
'life-time': be drawn, be present, disappear/fade-out - or whatever.

I'm a neophyte at (Non-linear) Video Editing (using only the basics of
Kazam and OpenShot). Thus, not sufficiently familiar to know the
appropriate jargon for my long-winded explanation, nor whether such is
best done 'in camera' or as part of the post-processing stage.
Currently, I record the video separately from (most of) the audio and
merge them together later; so as to be able to adjust the timing to mesh
neatly. (and to remove the 'ums and ahs' which would undoubtedly
punctuate an effort to record both simultaneously - per any number of
bumbling, amateur-ish 'tutorials' on YouTube!)

My needs and ambitions are modest - more pedagogic/androgogic than
technological!

The ageing dual-CPUs run Linux Mint 18 Cinnamon 64-bit with two
wide-screen monitors. In addition to those previously listed, I might
use Audacious for sound, VLC for playback (and HTML template-pages for
in-browser delivery), Cheese for web-cam capture, as well as scanning,
editor, and PM tools.
(like I say: quite modest and not keen on investing huge amounts of time
in 'production' because the authoring task is already significant and
cost-conscious)

Any and all advice from practical experience, plus an education in the
keywords/search terms I should be using, will be much appreciated...

--
Regards,
=dn