[GLLUG] Pipes A and B under-runs reported

Chris Bell chrisbell at chrisbell.org.uk
Sat Jul 29 14:33:08 UTC 2017

Hello,
I have an IBM (Lenovo) Thinkpad R50e with a Pentium M 1.60GHz processor which
for a long time has reported pipe under-runs at the start of the boot
procedure, but just continued to work OK.
I have completely re-partitioned and formatted the hard disc before installing
debian 9.1 stretch with KDE, and it now complains about pipe under-runs and
fails to boot beyond showing a mouse pointer.
Ctrl+Alt+F1 gives me a text terminal screen where I can login and request
startx, and it then continues to boot normally.
Knoppix 7.7.1 just works without any complaints.
Memtest finds no errors in the 1536MB RAM.
I have not found any relevant BIOS updates, and do not know whether I have a
software or hardware problem.
Any suggestions welcome, thanks.
--
Chris Bell