[GLLUG] Configuring a bind db.zone.ip6.arpa file

Chris Bell chrisbell at chrisbell.org.uk
Wed May 10 10:47:10 UTC 2017

On Tuesday 09 May 2017 22:39:30 Alain Williams via GLLUG wrote:

> I'm not quite sure what you mean. Are you saying that you have one IPv6
> address and you want to give that different names depending on who asks ?
> If so you can do that with views - I will give an example if that is what
> you want.

Hello Alain, thanks for the reply.
I do not have IPv6 at the moment, but I understand that I am unlikely to
receive any warning when my ISP decides to do the switch. My current IPCop
firewall is IPv4 only, so I am trying to make some preparations including
setting up an IPv6 capable firewall, with site local address prefixes on
protected networks, as well as the eventual global prefix (testing using the
example.com prefix), mail gateway(s) sitting in a DMZ, with a destination mail
server in the protected network. I also want to replace my current semi-
protected IPv4 network, used for guest boxes and web access. All local traffic
is expected to use a site local prefix.
At the moment any SMTP mail addressed to a domain run by me is just addressed
to my single static IPv4 address and port forwarded to my mail system. IPv6
should allow me to introduce more domain separation, although probably with
the same destination mail server initially.

I understand that multiple IPv6 addresses can be allocate to a single
interface, and multiple interfaces can respond to a single IPv6 address.

I can configure Bind9 with different views on a network, with the same IPv6
interface-and-address listed under different "/bind/db.domain.name-n" records,
but then I have to create reverse pointer "arpa" database(s) from IPv6
addresses to the various names. Can I do this, and if so is there a correct
file configuration? Would the preferred way be to use different IPv6 addresses
for each view instead?

Thanks for any information.

--
Chris Bell