[GLLUG] Radiation Ready?

Chris Bell chrisbell at chrisbell.org.uk
Sun Nov 12 11:48:19 UTC 2017

Hello,
We have robots that can work in places where there is high radiation, so can
modern solid state memories survive? ARM CMOS processors were selected for use
where radiation was a problem. Not too many years ago we could purchase (now
relatively small) magneto-optical discs and drives which were claimed to be
more resistant to radiation damage (I still have some discs, but have not seen
drives available for a long time). Long gone are the times when there were
comprehensive local public libraries well stocked with reference books, and
even shared computer access may be restricted. Do we still have well protected
archives for the time when we are hit by a massive solar flare, or crazy
nations start lobbing nuclear bombs around, or will we have to rely on the
fading memories of older generations who are still able to remember how to
survive without Google?

--
Chris Bell
Website http://chrisbell.org.uk