[GLLUG] Setting up an IPv6 test.

Chris Bell chrisbell at chrisbell.org.uk
Mon Oct 2 10:20:32 UTC 2017

Hello,
Plusnet have told me that they will not roll out IPv6 addresses until they
have totally run out of IPv4 addresses, so I am trying to set up an IPv6 test
configuration with a firewall providing radvd and routing fdxx site-local plus a
global prefix. I have been unable to contact/join the he.net tunnelbroker
scheme and am now trying to set up a "6to4" tunnel. Can anyone please confirm
the latest rules about the prefix configuration? Reading through lots of
information the prefix should take the IPv4 address in Hex, ab.cd.ef.gh/n and
the tunnel address prefix should then be 2002:abcd:efgh:n::/64 and for the
usual IPv4 /32 this should make n=20 while my modem has provided an auto-
configured address where n=10. Have the rules for the fourth block been changed
so that it can now have any value? I have set this to 20 for now.
I have read the RIPE NCC document "6to4 - Why is it so Bad"
Thanks for any help.
--
Chris Bell
Website http://chrisbell.org.uk