[GLLUG] Raspbian "stretch" problems

Chris Bell chrisbell at chrisbell.org.uk
Fri Sep 1 12:32:22 UTC 2017

On Friday, 1 September 2017 09:09:23 BST Philip Hands via GLLUG wrote:
> Steve Parker via GLLUG <gllug at mailman.lug.org.uk> writes:
> > On 31/08/17 21:38, Chris Bell via GLLUG wrote:
> >> they do not auto-start on
> >> boot-up or re-boot. They appear to be listed correctly in /etc/default/ ,
> >> /lib/systemd/system/ssh.service appears to be correct, and they do start
> >> and run normally using /etc/init.d start (with a note "via
> >> systemd-service"),>
> > To enable it to start on boot:
> > systemctl enable ssh
> >
> > To start it manually (without the "via systemd" note):
> > systemctl start ssh
>
> I think you meant this (given your without systemd comment):
>
>   service ssh start
>
> On a system with systemd, that ends up doing the same thing as the
> systemctl command, but it also works on other init setups, so would be
> better for writing scripts that are portable.
>
> Cheers, Phil.

Thanks for the replies.
Yes I can start ssh manually, if I have K,V,M connected, but the default is
set to start immediately on (re)boot, and I want to run it (and others)
connected only to the network without K,V,M so need to login via the network.
I am going to try again with a fresh re-load of the micro-SD and then install
openssh-server on its own for re-test. I have not had the problems installing
stretch on ordinary laptops and other boxes.

--
Chris Bell
Website http://chrisbell.org.uk