[GLLUG] Debian interfaces and disable systemd

Chris Bell chrisbell at chrisbell.org.uk
Tue Apr 10 17:25:05 UTC 2018

On Tuesday, 10 April 2018 17:45:42 BST Henrik Morsing via GLLUG wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a Debian Linode VPS, and rebooting it always annoys me as I have
> to manually add my additional IP address and restart all the services.
> I've read and followed both Linode and Debian guide on how to add it to
> the interfaces file, but recently realised it's because systemd ignores it.
>
> Linode guide said to disable systemd for networking, but I have been
> unable to get this to work.
>
> Can someone tell me how to get Debian to use the interfaces file, please?
>
> Thanks
> Henrik Morsing

Hello Henrik Morsing,
I am not an expert, but this seems to work with me using Debian Stretch.
The problem with multiple ethernet interfaces coming up in random order has
been sorted by re-naming them during the boot procedure according to their
physical location and interrupt order

ip address show
ip address add [either IPv4 or IPv6 address] dev [device-name]

Systemd may not be fully utilised, but almost anything not installed by
default needs to be enabled

systemctl enable [package-name]
systemctl start [package-name]
systemctl status [package-name]
    any problem will be flagged, one at a time. Sort it, then repeat the last
two steps until you either get it to work or give up till tomorrow.

--
Chris Bell
Website http://chrisbell.org.uk