[GLLUG] Odd SATA Issue - slightly OT

Ken Smith kens at kensnet.org
Mon Dec 24 20:52:42 UTC 2018

Hi Everyone,

I have an older centos 6 system that has 3 sata disks in soft raid5.
I've noticed that the disk performance has become very poor.

I did several "dd if=/dev/sdX of=/dev/null count=10000" tests on the
disks and found one of them performing around 1 MB/s while the others
are at 150 MB/s or more.

smartctl tests look OK. lsscsi looks OK. hdparm looks OK. The MB is a
Gigabyte with an Intel 82801JI (ICH10 Family) controller.

Is there a way to see the error rate on the sata link? /var/log/messages
is clear of complaints about ata devices.

It almost seems like one channel of the SATA controller has gone bad.
I'm remote from it at the moment but I might try swapping the disk to
another channel when I have access to the hardware again.

Anyone seen anything like this before.....

Best seasons greetings

Ken

believed to be clean.