[GLLUG] Odd SATA Issue - slightly OT

Ken Smith kens at kensnet.org
Sat Dec 29 11:35:23 UTC 2018

Ken Smith via GLLUG wrote:

>> Alain D D Williams via GLLUG wrote:

>>> A cheat fix attempt is to replace the power supply. These tend to
>>> fade over time
>>> and can cause disks to play up - however I would have expected to
>>> see errors in
>>> /var/log/messages
>>>

>> Thanks Alain, I hadn't thought of that. I'll measure some voltages
>> first and see what I get.
>>
>> :-) Ken
>>

> I monitor the voltages and fan speeds, among other things,  with
> Zabbix. Something definitely happened about 10 days ago according to
> the Zabbix records. Thanks :-) Ken

PSU voltages looked good but swapped it and the Motherboard (I have a
spare) & sata cable but sadly no change. Have added a spare disk and
done some mdadm juggling to introduce the new disk and fail the suspect
one. Once the raid had rebuilt the performance is back to normal.

/boot & Grub loader are on the suspect disk. Have already copied /boot
to the new disk but need to reinstall the boot loader on that disk and
update fstab with the new /boot.

Strange that a WD NAS disk can work fine except 100x slower than normal.
iostat -x was showing huge values for await on that WD device.

Oh well - chalk that down to experience.

:-) Ken

believed to be clean.