[GLLUG] Adding multiple addresses to multiple interfaces

Chris Bell chrisbell at chrisbell.org.uk
Tue Jan 2 16:34:11 UTC 2018

Hello,
I am trying to configure the static individual IPv4, IPv6 site, and IPv6 global
addresses for each of four ethernet interfaces on a firewall box running Debian
Stretch. One interface is connected to the modem and only uses IPv4 and the
global /64 prefix, the other three to different local networks with the same
global /64 prefix, but slightly different site prefixes within the same fd**/48
group.

I had problems with Debian Jessie taking the interface names such as eth0 as
found in random order by the BIOS, so used to test and re-boot if the MAC
addresses did not match. Stretch re-names the interfaces according to their
physical location, so the MAC addresses will be the same each time.

I have edited /etc/network/interfaces to specify all the addresses
individually, and all four IPv4 addresses are successfully configured, but not
all interfaces pick up their IPv6 addresses (although those that do are
correct).

The box is running Bind9, RADVD, Shorewall, and Shorewall6, and all appear to
be running OK, but IPv6 access is not reliable.  It is working in parallel
with my very reliable but IPv4-only firewall.

Any suggestions welcome, there are several layers of configuration software
including systemd, IP, avahi, and NetworkManager, plus the simple historical
configuration files, but without any indication of preference order.
Thanks.
--
Chris Bell
Website http://chrisbell.org.uk